Braces are the most common form of orthodontic treatment. They gradually move your teeth to the best and healthiest position as determined by a licensed orthodontist, such as Dr. Dick Dykman of Bullmoose Orthodontics in Chandler AZ, a part of Maricopa County, as well as Mesa AZ, Tempe AZ, Gilbert AZ, Queen Creek AZ, and Ahwatukee AZ. Although braces are a great thing, there are a few things to consider when choosing to pursue treatment.
Foods to avoid with braces
- Dental hygiene and brushing your teeth is even more important, now. Brackets and wires can make cleaning your teeth properly, more difficult, which means you may be more susceptible to cavities.
- In instances where your braces break, you’ll need the orthodontist to provide a fix on your next visit. Yes, accidents do happen, but with a little extra care, you can avoid issues that could slow down the process of correcting your crooked teeth.
- Whether you just got adult braces, or your child just saw a children’s orthodontist, it may not be ready to jump back into your normal eating routine, right away. For the first few days, anything too hard or too crispy might be difficult to eat due to some discomfort and/or soreness.
- Sticky and hard candies are the most obvious foods to avoid with braces that comes to mind. Candies described as sticky and hard can get caught in your braces and knock brackets and wires loose. Also, it’s considered not safe to try harder foods like popcorn, pretzels, seeds and nuts while on braces. In addition to that, tough-to-chew meats can cause problems as well.
You may be wondering what food to eat with or food to avoid with braces. Never fear! There are delicious options that will keep your teeth and tummy happy. Here’s a delicious recipe that’s perfect to eat with braces, clear braces, and/or Invisalign!
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Garlic clove
- 5 lbs Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 oz Light cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Sour cream, light
- Peel potatoes and cube
- Set crock pot to high, put potatoes, chicken broth and butter into the Crock Pot
- Cook for 4.5 hours
- Roughly mash potatoes – then add garlic, sour cream, salt, pepper, milk, cream cheese and finish mashing.
Let’s Talk Teeth!
Do you have braces? Is there a food that you can eat with braces that we may have overlooked? Let us know!
There is a lot to consider when deciding if braces are the right choice for you. Dr. Dykman and the team at Bullmoose Orthodontics can help pinpoint the best option for you once they have evaluated your condition and learned more about your lifestyle (including what foods you eat, regularly). As an orthodontist in Chandler AZ, Dr. Dykman works hard to create a comfortable environment for current and new patients, alike.
If you are interested in braces, clear braces, or Invisalign, be sure to contact Bullmoose Orthodontics in Chandler AZ to schedule a FREE braces consultation!
Dr. Dick Dykman and the team at Bullmoose Orthodontics are experts in braces. If you have any questions pertaining to Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, braces and clear braces in Chandler AZ, 85224, Maricopa County AZ, Mesa AZ, Tempe AZ, Gilbert AZ, Queen Creek AZ, Ahwatukee AZ, or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Dykman, contact Bullmoose Orthodontics at: (480) 782-1200.